You Know You've Been Waiting For This!! DNC Thoughts!


Let it be known that I'm an out of the closet liberal! Y'all should know that by now. You can read more about why I'm a liberal HERE. It took me years to come out of the closet on that one for two reasons: most Mormons are Republican/Conservatives and I was afraid I would be persecuted by them (need I remind you that I went to BYUI and lived in the REDDEST county in the entire country???). It has been very liberating to find that peace and sense of self; I'm proud that I took the time to research and figure out what I stand for. With that said, holy smokes! Last night's Democratic National Convention was incredible! I will say there were some things that President Obama stated that I'm not completely on board with but he focused on things that are very important to me like keeping jobs here, not cutting social welfare programs, and focusing on Education. Yes! Yes! Yes! We need to take care of our own; instead of going abroad constantly and trying to help people there, we must fix our issues here first! Education: we are in a competitive world (and it's no longer against the Russians). China and India are our greatest competition and we must be able to keep up. President Obama did a great job at touching base with his citizens. There are things I worry about for sure like the national debt and four more years of that. But then I think of foreign relations, wars and rumors of wars, and I definitely feel we need someone in office who can handle those issues and be diplomatic. Experience is something that is acquired and the President definitely has that now. I was proud of America last night. To see all of those different cultures meshed together, to hear valiant words from a man who has come a long way from when I first heard of him, and to know that my son has a chance at being just as successful as everyone else even though he is being raised by a single mother, that idea of hope came back. I have hope in the American people. I have hope in my son's future. I have hope that if I work hard and try my best, I will be able to achieve all of my dreams.

For a fiscally conservative, socially liberal person... Election time is always a huge surprise! I don't vote strictly down party lines and that makes things slightly complicated. I'm a moderate-liberal for crying out loud! But I will admit that I usually vote Democrat. They stand for more things that I care and worry about. Ultimately, it's important that we get informed. It's important that we cast aside judgment of the parties and do research for ourselves. What do you stand for? Why do you feel that way? If we want our voice to be heard, we must partake in this activity. My dad taught me the importance of voting at a very young age. My dad had just become a U.S. citizen a few years before the 1996 election. I had never seen my dad so excited and so proud as I did that day. He took me with him (since I had been the one to help him learn American History) and we shared that special day together.

"Ruby, we cannot stand by and let injustices happen. That's why we vote. We have the opportunity to vote for people that we think will make a difference. Every vote counts and you must remember that if you don't vote then you really have no say in the matter of how things play out. It is our duty and our right as American Citizens."- Andres De Santiago

I really do blame my parents for my love of politics and American history. I mean, I memorized the preamble before I could read, knew the first 13 colonies, and could name the first 10 presidents of the United States by the time I hit Kindergarten. So it's my parents fault that I love all of those things. They have become my passion and hopefully soon, I'll be able to do something more with that passion.

I'm really glad that they had President Clinton the night before to speak on behalf of President Obama.  To all of those who hate Bill Clinton and his womanizing ways.... Let us remember that the guy who led the investigation and literal persecution of President Clinton was a man named Newt, who at that same time was cheating on his dying wife with his current wife. The womanizing ways go both ways and as we all know in politics, things are sleazy and sketchy sometimes. His personal life aside, President Clinton will be known for the surplus he left behind, his excellent ideas on bettering education and poverty, and his successful international diplomacy. If we didn't have term limits I would take another 4 years of Bill.

**Feel free to comment! I want to hear from y'all!

Comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
toni said…
I tend to agree with quite a few Liberal ideas... Obamacare being one of them. I don't know how we're going to pay for it and that's a huge concern, but i do think everyone deserves to have medical care. I actually consider myself to be a moderate (which bothers Dan sometimes!), but when it comes down to who i actually vote for, i can't support ANY candidate that is pro-choice. To me, abortion is the #1 issue. I was really bothered by Michelle Obamas comment during the DNC when she said something like "Barrack believes that women are smart enough to make decisions about their own bodies." Umm... No they're not! If they were dumb enough to have unprotected sex, then they don't deserve to decide what happens to the innocent unborn baby. I couldn't believe that someone who is a mother of 2 beautiful girls could be pro-choice. Say what you want to say, abortion is wrong.

That being said, i still love you and you are by far my favorite liberal friend! Oh, and regarding your facebook status the other day, i really like Bill Clinton, too :-)
Ruby said…
Toni it's good to hear from you! I'm sure Dan loves hearing about my crazy blog posts ;). Although I do agree that a woman needs to deal with the consequences to her actions, there are other instances where a woman didn't have a choice. Completely abolishing abortion is something I don't agree with because I can't imagine being raped and then having to deal with a baby afterwards. It sounds horrible. I see Max and can't imagine deciding to do away with him because he didn't fit my lifestyle. I'm glad that we believe in families and children because they're the absolute best. Love ya Toni! And I always love hearing from you!
Lauren said…
If I am not mistaken, the Republicans what the Democrats want too. 1. More jobs, 2. Jobs that stay in America 3. don't want to cut social welfare programs (other than any abortion covered by taxes), and to focus on good education. ALL of those were mentioned in Mitt Romney's speech at the RNC. He wants to create jobs and lots of them, he wants them here in the US(that's what I got from it), he wants to make sure medicare is there for our elderly and not taken away from them, and he wants to boost our educational system, just like he did when he was Gov. and the schools in his state were #1 in the nation. I think this is all just a big misunderstanding and caused by lies being told by some Obama supporters about what Mitt really is for. He wants all those things too, and he's going to work that much harder and be that much more effective at it because he is a moral guy as well. There is no denying that success follows morality more than it follows an immoral and divided mind. That is why a politician's "womanizing ways" are such a big deal...it says something about his character, his work ethic, and his overall decision-making abilities. Morally backwards people are on both sides...democrats and republicans, but this time, the Republican nominee is squeaky clean while Obama has mentors and friends with communism, socialism, and anti-American, anti-Religion on the mind. I'm with you where I don't necessarily side with the Democrat or Republican candidate all the time, every time. But this time, I'm going with Romney, because he seems to have everything going for him. And also, "by their fruits ye shall know them." Obama's fruits ain't looking too pretty, and Romney's beautiful family, successful career, and record as a religious leader as well as a generous service giver all scream "good fruit" and "blessings" to me. If our country votes him President, I'm hoping some of those blessings get rubbed off onto us...the American citizens, for choosing such a great leader. I have hope too...if Romney is elected!