BABYLON

Let us once and for all establish our residence in Zion and give up the summer cottage in Babylon- Neal A. Maxwell, A Wonderful Light (1990).


Babylon- looks enticing doesn't it?? (Painting found on google)

I think sometimes I've been guilty of wanting both. Does it sound sinful that I just admitted to wanting to leave a cottage in BABYLON? Maybe. At least I can admit my flaws. See, I'm a woman of the 21st century. While I believe in the Articles of Faith and the Proclamation to the Family, there are other wordly things that I do enjoy! I love fashion, I'm a feminist, I read all sorts of books, I keep myself well-informed, I am a champion of human rights, I'm an advocate for the less fortunate, I consider myself educated... and sometimes I look down on LDS women who aren't like me. They're conservative in their manners, speech, and family life. I met a lot of them while in college and they terrified me! They couldn't have cared less about having an education. They were proud of being on the hunt for a good husband. They dropped out of school with no intention to go back once they got married... and they were happy about it! I couldn't believe what I was hearing!! Many of these lovely women are now married, have beautiful families, and are doing so well that I am in more awe than shock. They've also become some of my very good friends. I adore them and their families! Maybe I was wrong all along?? This by no way means I'm giving up my liberal tendencies; it just means I'm thinking 'within' my  box and trying to make sense of it. It also means that although I don't understand their thinking, I no longer judge them for their choice. They are wonderful women. I am learning a lot from them and now as a mother, I see the benefits of staying home to raise children. In this growing "Babylon" we have to raise our children to stand steadfast and ready against the calamities that will befall them. The gray area is growing and it's hard to dinstinguish between good and evil. **Disclaimer: I'm sure that if I stayed home I'd be more busy than I am at work with playdates, raising kids, husbandly things, cooking, cleaning, book clubs, and other cool stuff I know I would be joining.

-Sometimes I feel that because I am a good person, I will be immune to the trials of life. You know, like Babylon doesn't pertain to me (Um, hello!! Need I remind myself of the last 4 years???!! What the crazy?!) Sure, I can hang with people that don't do what I do but I won't fall and commit the same mistakes! I have great friends that support my lifestyle of not partying it up and I appreciate that. So much.
In regards to MEN: I think maybe he wasn't raised like me but who cares? He's a really great guy and maybe I was supposed to meet him for a reason?- I mean, I could be right. I have also started to learn that I don't need to make anything happen with any one guy. The stars will align and somehow when I least expect it, some dashing guy is going to run into me and create history (maybe I'll write a poem about it). It's when I start to think like this that I realize I need to overcome Babylon and the temptations that come behind it. I also realize:
A. I judge others too harshly
B. You do marry who you date
C. Good people do bad things
D. Self-righteousness was never happiness
E. If I put myself in bad situations, I can't expect good things to come from them
F. IF I take time to enjoy life as a whole, I will be less inclined to covet that which I do not have...

Comments

Elise said…
Some women aren't cut out for college--flat out. I don't feel like I am cut out for it but I do it anyway. Although I do have an education, I would be just as happy (if not more happy) if I all I did was get married and have all my beautiful babies to keep me happy at home. We're all cut out for different things in life.
Ruby said…
Elise- I completely agree!! I think I always planned for other things since I knew from early on that having kids would be a trial for me (diabetes). I physically can't birth 6 kids- and I'm not sure I'd have the patience for them- so I focused on my 2nd love: education. We're all different and that's what makes this life so much more exciting! I will admit that if I find the right man and decide to marry again, I will stay home with the future child we have together. Being a full time provider and mother is really hard.

Popular Posts