CHINESE... It's what's for Dinner!




You all know my obsession with Asian food, culture, and countries. I don't know why I'm so obsessed but I can pinpoint to when my Asian Infatuation began ;). Now, five years later, I am older, wiser, and fuller because of my great food recipes. I have found inspiration and comfort while consuming the varying degrees of food from varying Asian ethnicities (they can be called ethnicities, right?). Today's menu is Chinese. How I love the Chinese. Their language, food, customs, and traditions. *Although I am not on a quest for a man, please let me know if Jeremy Lin is available. He's right up my alley way and the height is a definite added bonus :).


CHICKEN EGG-DROP SOUP

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 1-inch piece of ginger (make sure it is thinly sliced)

4 scallions, roughly chopped

2 T. mirin (sweet rice wine) OR dry sherry (*i like the sweet rice wine better)

1/2 lb skinless, boneless chicken breats, and cut into cubes

1 t. toasted sesame oil

4 T. of Cornstarch

add Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper (it makes a difference! trust me)

3 Large eggs, well beaten

1 small bunch watercress, with the stems removed


1. Bring the: chicken broth, ginger, and scallions to a boil (in a saucepan proves best). Cover, and lower the heat to medium low. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a large bowl, throw out the ginger and scallions (used for flavoring). Return the broth to the saucepan and stir in the mirin.

2. Toss the chicken, sesame oil, 1 T. constarch, 1/2 t. salt, and 1/2 t. of white pepper in a bowl. I put mine in the refrigerator until I'm ready to use it. In fact, do that.

3. Dissolve the reamining 3 tablespoons of cornstarch in 1/4 C. of water. Return the broth to a simmer over medium heat. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook (while stirring) until it's glossy and slightly thickened (it takes about 4 minutes). Add the chicken and simmer until cooked through (1-2 mins). Drizzle the eggs into the soup a little at a time (it's fun!) creating thin sheets of cooked egg. Finally, stir in the watercress.

4. ENJOY!

I always find myself in need of comfort food and this is a semi-healthy way to soothe my mind and spirit. I sure do love me some Chinese Egg Drop Soup!

Comments

Alyson Samantha said…
I don't even know what a scallion is. But this looks yummy, and can easily be made gluten free!! Also, how the HECK did you make your blog look like this?? It's so cool.
Ruby said…
Alyson- I have absolutely no idea how this happened. Let us all hold a moment of silence for this awesome "accident."

Popular Posts