Republican Convention- Oh Snap. TANGENT TIME.
![]() |
| I just wanted a reason to post his glorious face. I like old men. |
HOLY COW. You guys, I'm dying! I'm going through identity crisis! I am a staunch feminist Democrat. You all know that! I mean, one of the first books I ever read was the biography of FDR (who is still one of my favorite presidents), followed by five years of intensive research on Kennedy politics, idolization of Bill Clinton's international politics, and of course, my devotion to my governor Mike Bebee (boy I'm going to miss him when he's gone). I mean, I have been as devout to my party as much as my kid is devout to his CARS movies. I don't know any more devotion than that. With that said, the RNC brought me to near tears. They brought on Clint Eastwood. I LOVE HIM!! Also... Ann is my new grandma crush. My goodness, she is awesome!
![]() |
| He's no Clint but those Romneys are good lookin' men for sure! |
I have been avoiding the topic of Mitt as of late because, well I can't say anything bad about the guy. I'm still convinced he's a secret closet Democrat so I like him and know that he knows. Mitt is a really good guy, the kind that I feel I can trust because he's real. I could trust him to come and help me take out the trash and then ask me if I'm ok. He's been called a flip flopper because he's changed a lot of his ideas and plans, but hey who hasn't? I used to hate peanut butter until I was 17, then my life changed when my tastebuds accepted that stuff. Of course, he also picked a tea partier as his running mate (GULP) and well, he's just a man. I don't expect the guy to move mountains. I do wish he had another single son because I would totally be down for a date! Don't judge me, have you seen their sons?? They're gorgeous. I swear it's like barbie and ken every time I look at that entire family. But the TEA PARTY thing killed the Mormon buzz I've been on for the last six weeks.
Next- I didn't like my reaction to finding out that my sister is voting for Mitt. I wasn't very nice about it. Sorry to my Sissy! I forget that she is entitled to her opinion and that Mitt is a nice guy. His wife is great and I can appreciate that she is looking out for the moms of the country. I literally fell in love with her when I watched the Republican Convention. She gave a heck of a speech and made me proud to be a woman and a mother! Go Ann! She's also very pretty in a very good way. I like her example. She's got good hair too...
I once wanted the life she had. I had prepared my whole life to become a mother, raise a family, and I felt selfish when I thought about my needs and wants. Then I experienced it and I can honestly say I look up to stay at home moms everywhere. It is a trying job! It doesn't pay anything! But the rewards of being able to raise their children make it worth it. After experiencing both staying home and now working full time, there are days that I wish that I could be with my sweet boy. I miss him. I'm missing out on his life. But I don't have that choice. I have to work to put food on the table. I have to work to make ends meet. I have to work because it helps me feel like I am contributing to society. I work hard! I do my job well! I feel fulfilled in the sense that I know I am a strong woman and can support my little family. But then, I feel resentment. The Republicans are trying to say they want to look out for me; let it be known that the Republicans in Arkansas don't care for people like me. Example: I am not poor enough to receive any help. My special needs son is not able to receive the therapy he needs because forking out $150 a week for therapies is a fortune for me. Medicaid? I don't qualify. Childcare (boy am I lucky my dear friend watches him) is not cheap. I am glad he is in a healthy environment with a woman I trust and care for. Not all mothers are as lucky as I am. The more I listened to Ann, the more I wanted to believe what she is saying. THEN reality slapped me in the face and I realized... They (these current Republicans) are going to cut whatever funds there are for women like me with children like my son. I'm in one of the poorest states of the country, yet the help is not available. I would have to be living out of a BOX with no job to qualify for help. Now, I'm a proud woman. Let it be known that I made such a confession and it's hard for me to state that. Asking for help is hard for me. In fact, I'm often reminded that I don't have to do this alone. So when I finally buckled down and went in to inquire, I was rejected. I made too much money. I live with my parents. Now, I don't want you guys to think I'm not doing ok financially because I am. I make enough to pay for my bills, Max's stuff, and save a penny or two for grad school. But it's a struggle. Single parenthood is a nightmare. I have learned and can testify that saving pennies is a true saying. Whoever thinks that single-parenthood can be easy with people around to help is a liar and I would like for them to spend a day in my shoes.- This is not discounting my wonderful family who have sacrificed so much for Max and I. I am blessed and grateful for them. Also a huge thanks to my bffs and their parents who have opened up their hearts to my little man and love him dearly. You guys give me strength to continue to press on!
Brother MITT- WHY?! Why would you choose a Tea Partier as your running mate?!! Sure, he looks nice. He has a sweet family. His charisma and youth will be an asset. He looks like he's squeaky clean... BUT WHY?!! We know what they want to do to our government and our taxes!! These are the Republicans people like me DON'T WANT IN OFFICE. WE WANT THEM KEPT OUT!! You know how everyone said all the crazy Socialists came out of the closet once President Obama was in office?? Yeah well now all the crazy Conservatives are about to come out of the wood works and they're going to create more harm than good because they will take away the funding for education, nonprofits, planned parenthood (which doesn't just focus on abortion, it actually helps with sex education and affordable family planning), and Medicaid, Medicare, Social welfare programs that are important. I am a fortunate single mom because I can hold my own. I'm holding down my own fort and trying to live the American Dream. I'm hoping that working two jobs, pursuing a higher degree, and trying to be a good mother to my son will pay off in the future. I'm investing my time, energy, mind in order to have a better outcome in my future life.
BUT there are others less fortunate. Other sisters that are suffering because they are struggling to hold down their forts and they can't. They will suffer. Their children will suffer. I have a hard time with this NO ABORTION stance they're going off of because it seems that the Conservatives are so eager to get babies here only to FORGET all about them. If they're so eager for these children to be born, then why are they NOT hesitant when it comes to cutting government funding for these children? I'm not advocating abortion here. My personal ideas aside, I think it's ridiculous to stand on such a platform and then completely not follow through. I want these struggling pregnant ladies to speak to these men who will never have to worry about being pregnant or birthing a child in their lives! I want them to go and ask them what will happen once the child they cannot support is born! Will they be given a guarantee that they will be taken care of? Of course not! Those funds are already being cut as we speak.
I feel like I'm asking for a fight because I want to talk to these Republicans. I want to really understand what is going through their heads. I don't get it. I feel that when they want to do away with all of these programs (which I don't think Mitt will get rid of or anything since he is pretty moderate) then they're out of touch with reality. They talk about back breaking labor like it's something their grandparents did and it's a thing of the past. WANT TO TALK ABOUT BACK BREAKING LABOR?! I know what it's like to have to eat my own food storage because I had nothing else in the house (thank you Mormon doctrine on food storage!!). I know what it's like to cry at night for fear of how I will make it through the next day. I know what it's like to have $3 to my name and wonder how I will possibly pay for my gas to get to work. I CAN sympathize with the women who are going through these things because I HAVE BEEN THERE. I didn't make this choice. Divorce is the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life but it happened. I'm not saying this out of pity nor am I complaining about my life. My life is good! I have the help of the Lord, a loving child who is my pride and joy, I have a job, a loving family, a roof over my head... BUT I KNOW. These are struggles I have overcome and can look back to with pride because I did a heck of a good job handling them. But don't stand on a platform and tell me you know my needs because you don't care. If you cared, you would address them. Words are just words. I want to see an action plan.
I want a president who will guarantee that he is looking out for MY personal interests. I want a president who will not give me false promises but will show me through his actions that he means business. I want a president who will follow through with his promises.
With all of this said, I'm getting mixed signals and feelings from Mitt. Should I trust you? Could you help me? Are you different from the other Republicans who have left a bad taste in my mouth? OH THE AGONYYY. OF COURSE, I think I'm going to stay on the safe side and cast a waive in your direction and go for my guy. The one in office? Yeah he's cool.
Also, did anyone know that the first lady of Puerto Rico's is a REPUBLICAN?!! She can't vote.


Comments