What I've Learned as a 20 year Diabetic Veteran
I am about to hit my 20 year anniversary with diabetes (can you tell I like to keep up with tragic/awesome events in my life by anniversary dates??). I am a veteran and sometimes I feel like a champion because I have done things even my doctors never believed possible (like living to be my age, birthing a child, etc).
I awoke from a onset diabetic coma at the ripe age of 5 1/2 (I was a teeny little kid that weighed about 35 lbs. on my heaviest days). I remember waking up in a spacious room, with my mother sleeping by my side, my dad passed out on a chair, and my kid sister in a hospital bed. From that day on, my family life completely changed. Our house became anti-junk food, my days consisted of constant injections, and our family started over. We did it. Here I am, living proof that things can and do get better!!
Of course, tragedy would strike a few times and I would be rushed back to the hospital. Then, when I was a teenager, I was given pretty hard news. The kind of news that I had to share with my ex-spouse before he ever thought about marrying me. Does Steel Magnolias ring a bell?! I was told I couldn't have kids. I mean, I could... But the collective damage that would happen to me would be devastating. Well, you all know about my own little miracle, Max Byron. Even 4 years later the after effects haven't been so great. Healing from my c-section took 6 months instead of 6 weeks, then I had to have reconstructive surgery a year ago to fix it, getting pregnant again sounds like a big "NO" anytime I talk to any gyno about it, and there's always that fear that I will be physically impaired after labor. The statistics for a miscarriage in my body is higher than 40% (where do they come up with this data?!) Did I mention my eye sight is going?? I'll never complain about glasses ever again.
**I'm not complaining... Okay, maybe a little. But honestly, this is my life. This is what I have learned to live with and it is what it is. I can't change it, so I might as well share my experience with y'all in the hope you can encourage young diabetics. I may not be able to birth out 6 kids or eat a whole tub of ice cream when I'm sad, and that's all okay! I have one awesome kid and a cup of ice cream suits me just fine.
I have learned that I must eat to live. Not live to eat. I struggled with that for so long because I love food and I love to eat until I'm stuffed. Changing this mentality is still hard but I'm better. I exercise so that my limbs won't have to be amputated in the future. I take care of my body in the hopes that I will be able to see my boy grown and be able to actively participate in his life. I know diabetes is a challenge for many people. But living with this disease has taught me to appreciate the good and the bad. It has taught me to raise the bar and live a healthier lifestyle. It has taught me to cherish my son above all else because I honestly don't know if I will ever be able to bear more children. My body treats fetuses like they're bad news bears. However, at least I was able to bear one child. At least I am able to watch him grow and actively participate. At least I have made it to 24 with minor complications. At least, I'm a better person today than I was yesterday and that is all that matters.
*Do you know anyone who is diabetic? My bffs have always been more than accommodating and treat me like I'm a normal person (because I am!). They also know my limitations and make sure that I'm always fed and hydrated. Thanks Bffs!


Comments