October- Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Five years ago, I would have never been able to tell you when this awareness occurs or signs of abuse. Five years ago, I was engaged to be married in the temple for time and all eternity. I didn't know that I was about to embark on a Spiritual Journey that would change my life forever. If you have kept up with my blog over the years, you have seen it transform from an every day family blog to... THIS. It seems a little scattered and unorganized. I touch topics of all shapes and sizes but you will notice that abuse is something I harp on constantly. Why? Because 1/3 people will experience domestic abuse. How does this apply to YOU? If you learn to tell the early signs of abuse, you will be able to better your life, your family, and your community.
I could go on and on from personal memory on signs that should be red flags. I could share my own personal struggle and triumph over PTSD. I could share how much better my life is now, in the hopes that any battered woman reading this will leave her partner and search for a better life... But really, you all have probably read my experience. You wept with me when I realized it was time to go. You were confused when I wouldn't specify how my marriage was doing. You were stunned when you found out I, Little Miss Molly, got a divorce (something I've always preached against). Those things took me by surprise too.
It takes an individual to make the choice to leave. No one can force them. If you're reading this and are in that situation, there is help! There are places you can go! You are not alone! Please GO GET HELP NOW!

What is sad for me (to this day) is that it didn't take a punched hole in the wall, being locked out of my very own house in -30 degree weather, or a physical slap to the face to wake me up from my reality. It took me years to physically leave and go on an extended vacation to visit my parents. I was angry and upset the whole time. I hated seeing my parents love for each other, and it was at that moment that I realized I had a problem. Why was I jealous of my parents love? Why was I so angry? Why wouldn't I let my dad hug me just to let me know he loved me?? I was broken. The abuse I experienced was minor to many people but to me it was life changing. It opened my eyes to what other people go through, in the name of love no less. I had been raised in a traditional home where the dad ran the house and the mother supported, always supported everything he said. My dad never yelled at me. Honestly, I think he raised his voice once but it wasn't loud enough to categorize it as yelling. He always hugged and loved his daughters. Before my experience, I had heard of abuse as something that happened in other places to other people. Now, I know differently. I am different because of it but I am stronger. I am stronger than I would ever have been otherwise.
This abuse and divorce don't define me. These are just experiences that I have gone through and conquered. Life does get better. The light at the end of the tunnel is actually incredible! Now, 2 years later, I am thriving in a world I never thought possible.

CALL the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1(800) 799- 7233.

Comments

Popular Posts