The Other Side Grass

Dear Greener Grass on the Other side,

You look delicious and enticing. I know it's kinda creepy that I keep glancing over there to you but it's only because I really wonder what it's like over there. It seems fascinating! There is beauty all around and I often wonder what it would be like to cross over there. Life seems so much easier. Relationships are a breeze, everyone is happy and has "someone" and then here I am, on the other side; alone with my thoughts.
See, there are a lot of weeds on this side. There are yellow spots and from time to time, I trip over tree roots. It's not smooth or Irish green over here. It is a constant work in progress to get this side to look remotely close to what ya'll look like over there. We have a lot of struggles here. No high paying jobs or gorgeous bachelors running amock. If there is a bachelor to be found, he is hard to tame and keep. The kids run around as if they own the place; it is just plain hard over here!

I've wandered to the boundary line many times now. I get really close to crossing over. I put my leg through the fence a few times and nearly walk away from this wretched yellow/green dying grass. But then I'm reminded of my boundaries I promised myself I would always keep. I remember I have been called to be a Mother in Zion (no easy feat) and finally, I remember my promises I made as a Young Woman: to have faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice&accountability, good works, and integrity . I have turned around and walked back to my side and accepted that I will work hard to til the ground and make my grass greener than what you have over there. I remind myself that the reward will be great if I can keep the promises I made.


Although you look enticing and filled with joy, I know I'm where I need to be. So just do me a favor? Stop with the awesome Gloria Estefan music and cute Asian men. Honestly, don't you have something better to do with your time than sit there and entice people who are trying to do the right thing?? Oh and another thing- hard work never killed anyone as of yet and I'm about to go put some boots on, grab some gloves, and hit those weeds.


All my thanks,


-Ruby

Comments

Alyson Samantha said…
I love this post, and I love you!!! Seriously, thanks for your insight and example!!!
Tab said…
Wow! You're awesome.
Keli said…
Ruby--it's astroturf! Stick with the real, imperfect but ever growing stuff!

Keep on keepin' on. :)

Popular Posts