Feminist: Oh Boy...
I've been MIA due to catching some airborne illness, being rushed to the ER (don't worry mom), and receiving enough antibiotics to cure dengue. Anyway, all is well. There is no more liquid in my lungs, I've started keeping solids down, and I'm re-thinking an international career. I cannot wait to take a bath, eat a hamburger, and watch some CNN. Needless to say, my Paraguayan hosts have been wonderful and I am really enjoying my time here.
Well, I heard from those of you that know my feminist tendencies concerning yesterday's events. I asked you to give me some time to process what is happening. I am a Mormon Feminist. I came out on this blog a few years ago and was happy to know that my friends and family supported me. There were some who didn't understand how I could be both, but over all, the feedback was incredibly positive. After yesterday's events, I am still at peace with my decision to stand for women, equality for all, and to bring about a better world for future generations. I believe that we are all different and our experiences change and strengthen our perspectives.
There are women who believe we don't need feminism. Well, if you're one of those congratulations! You learned how to read because you were allowed to go to school! You have access to birth control, you can choose whom to marry, you can get a divorce. Also, you were probably raised in a place where sex slavery isn't a prevalent subject and where violence against women can be reported to the police. Oh- and your parents chose to give birth to a girl. There are so many women throughout the world that aren't so lucky. There are child brides, girls sold into slavery by their own parents, women punished for trying to access birth control... The list is long, draining, and sad. Feminists aren't burning bras in the street and hating on men. We are just people seeking to level out the playing field a little bit.
There are women who believe we don't need feminism. Well, if you're one of those congratulations! You learned how to read because you were allowed to go to school! You have access to birth control, you can choose whom to marry, you can get a divorce. Also, you were probably raised in a place where sex slavery isn't a prevalent subject and where violence against women can be reported to the police. Oh- and your parents chose to give birth to a girl. There are so many women throughout the world that aren't so lucky. There are child brides, girls sold into slavery by their own parents, women punished for trying to access birth control... The list is long, draining, and sad. Feminists aren't burning bras in the street and hating on men. We are just people seeking to level out the playing field a little bit.
I was fortunate to be raised in a home by a wonderful mother, a woman who stood her own ground and successfully mastered the art of motherhood and working outside the home. She was actively involved in all of our lives and taught by example. I will forever be thankful she taught me to overcome gender and racial barriers. When the time came for me to become a mother, I was not afraid to try to have it all because I had seen my mother do it.
Today, I hope we remember the greatest commandment, to love one another. I hope that we can embrace our differences and create a world that does not discriminate against race, gender, sexual orientation, and religion. I ask that we are mindful of how we speak of others because that is reflective of our souls. Love may not conquer everything or heal the world of all its imperfections. I do know that LOVE can change a family, create a family, and create a better atmosphere.
Comments
Love you girl! Glad you're feeling better, sorry you've been so sick :-/
XOXO
I hope you feel better though! So sorry you had to go through all this!
~Anna