Horchata on the Rocas

As a Mexican not from Puebla, I wasn't raised to celebrate 5 de Mayo. However, I can always get behind a good celebratory mocktail. Today, I want to share this age-old family recipe with y'all. I was inspired to share it after attending a sustainability panel where I had the incredible opportunity to meet Jewel. YES, the singer-songwriter legend that changed all of our lives back in the day. We spoke about sustainable forestry, little boys and accessing clean water. I geeked out hard. Anyway, she spoke a lot on heritage and family, which reminded me of my family's history.

 Jewel shared a statistic that has been ringing in my ears for a few days. She mentioned that individuals who experience PTSD, depression or anxiety---  affect up to three generations if they don't received adequate help. 3 generations! I recently found out my ancestry lineage contains a canker of mental illness no one talks about. Many a woman in my family suffered through depression, post-partum and diabetes. Yet, this didn't hold them back and they resiliently hid their pain by cooking incredible food & mixing drinks for an assortment of family. So, while you sip on this delicious cinnamon concoction, pick up a journal- write 5 things you're grateful for and 2 things you like about yourself.

I'm Thankful For:
1. Warm sun
2. Sister hugs
3. In-N-Out fries
4. Free piano sheet music
5. Pancho the cat




Horchata Recipe

2 C. Rice
1 stick of cinnamon
1/2 C. sweet and condensed milk
1 C. milk

--- Lightly toast the rice in medium heat (brown it a little) in small pan. Place the rice in 4 cups of water with 1 cinnamon stick and let it soak overnight. The next day, blend the rice, 4 cups of water and stick. Strain the rice over a pitcher. Add the condensed milk and real milk. Stir and add sugar to taste. Serve in a tall glass, sip & enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts