Emily's Mormon Chocolate Chip Cookies

One of the many reasons why I love EMILY!

You Guys. I (finally) learned how to make my friend Emily's Mormon Chocolate Chip Cookies on my last trip to Utah. They were divine and honestly, helped me through a lot of funks growing up in the south. In fact, I've noticed that my funks have been inconsistently consistent for the last few years. Last May, I finally went to the doctor to figure out why I was so tired and anxious. Long story short, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and depression. Those are big words and they're hard to describe except when combined, the world feels like it's squeezing the pumps out of my heart and breathing becomes non-existent. I hid both so well that my closest family and friends had no idea until my perfectly crafted world crashed and burned. It took rock bottom for me to admit that I was facing something too big to carry on my own. My friends put up with countless phone calls, listened to me dissect every past action for the last decade and consoled me when I couldn't take another step by myself. I'm still in the thick of it, this weird mental management of raw feelings and emotions that come at me in waves.

Ready for my baking adventure. Utah, 2017.
There are days where I simply go through the motions and others where I nearly remember what life was like before my world fell apart. Fortunately, I've found websites like THESE to help me navigate through hard moments. I've learned to say no and started to write in my journal again. I didn't know how to share this with y'all except I wish others' had shared their struggles with me so I wouldn't feel so alone. I wanted to reach out to those that are silently struggling because you're not alone. It's a real thing. In fact, this article started my journey. I wish I could tell you I'm back to my normal self, or what I perceived was normal before my diagnosis. Tbh, I think this is my new normal and learning that diabetes affects neurological transmitters in my brain helps me to know that balance and health is central to living a full and healthy life. I have so much more to share with you guys!


When your world feels like it's fallen apart and you can't find sure footing, know that you're not alone. 
-All my love, Rubs

EMILY'S MORMON CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
2 1/4 C. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 sticks of butter, softened
3/4 C granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (make sure you pack it in and keep adding until it's super tight)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (the REAL deal, not the fake stuff)
2 large eggs
2 cups of Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips

PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. In another, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar with the vanilla extract until creamy. Add eggs, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheet.

BAKE for 9 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, remove to wire racks to cool completely.

* Makes about 5 dozen cookies. If you do bigger scoops it will make around 2-3 dozen.

The chef herself teaching me how to pack in that brown sugar. 
Making sure we add the chocolate chips correctly. Side note, Alex Lovin did my lashes and they rock!






  

Enjoying the best cookies I've ever made in the history of my life, thus far.

Comments

Jo said…
So proud of you my dear. I know this journey has been grueling and often difficult. You have touched many of us with your words and we will continue to support you through the darkest moments. We'll be there to cheer during your joys b/c they are our joys. Chin up, my rubs.
Kara said…
Oooo yummy! I love a good CC recipe. I'm going to try this one!

Popular Posts