Our Generation Doesn't Value History
No one seems to care about injustices that were committed among our citizens and no one acknowledges the injustices that are happening today. I have always loved this country, worked hard to become Americanized, and today I'm ashamed of my generation. The important historical events will eventually die out and no one will care about our forefathers.
I mean, how does no one care about Japanese Internment camps?! The fact that US citizens were held in horse barns and transported simply because they looked like the enemy? Why didn't we do the same to the Germans or Italians?
History is important so we learn from the past, that way we can avoid making the same mistakes. Yet, we seem to rather repeat our past offenses than to learn from them. I'm sad for America, this country that has staked a claim on its melting pot of cultures but really it's a classification system. Someone once told me that if I had a problem with the way the United States runs, I can leave. Just because I see problems with this country doesn't mean I should leave. Perhaps because I've had to face life with reality and not rosed colored glasses, I can help those that still believe America was founded on simple principles. I can help you understand that an entire body of people was systematically annihilated by settlers. We can discuss how genocide was committed against the Native Americans or how Teddy Roosevelt allowed the deaths of Filipino boys during the American Expansion. The winners always get to tell the story and sometimes those stories are wrong. It doesn't make us a worse people because it was what governments did back in the day but it does help create a better picture to figuring out why The United States is protested in so many places around the world.
My heart is heavy for the suffering of my own people and the death of a culture I will never understand.
I mean, how does no one care about Japanese Internment camps?! The fact that US citizens were held in horse barns and transported simply because they looked like the enemy? Why didn't we do the same to the Germans or Italians?
History is important so we learn from the past, that way we can avoid making the same mistakes. Yet, we seem to rather repeat our past offenses than to learn from them. I'm sad for America, this country that has staked a claim on its melting pot of cultures but really it's a classification system. Someone once told me that if I had a problem with the way the United States runs, I can leave. Just because I see problems with this country doesn't mean I should leave. Perhaps because I've had to face life with reality and not rosed colored glasses, I can help those that still believe America was founded on simple principles. I can help you understand that an entire body of people was systematically annihilated by settlers. We can discuss how genocide was committed against the Native Americans or how Teddy Roosevelt allowed the deaths of Filipino boys during the American Expansion. The winners always get to tell the story and sometimes those stories are wrong. It doesn't make us a worse people because it was what governments did back in the day but it does help create a better picture to figuring out why The United States is protested in so many places around the world.
My heart is heavy for the suffering of my own people and the death of a culture I will never understand.
![]() |
| www.shopriffraff.com -love this so much! |

Comments