Old Fashion Date Tip

I often reminisce about the old days at BYUI when dating was actually fun. I miss those sweet moments because that's exactly what they were. Well, over the holidays, I was pretty excited to find out that one of my Mormon friends was coming home for the holidays. He asked me out on a date. LIKE formally, you know?! J-man called ahead of time (on a Wednesday) to go out that Saturday. I was a little giddy because I had missed my Mormon boys. They always provide such good, clean fun, ya know? No pressure on having to explain why I'm not ordering a drink or wearing revealing clothing. I knew I wouldn't have to worry about setting aside time to explain my morals... Needless to say, I was very much excited for our "date night." I had given him a few ideas and let him make final the call. I'm old fashioned in that sense. I like a guy to plan the date and get it going. I don't believe in chasing boys. I am all for liking boys! But when it comes down to it, I don't want to play a game however, I firmly set the ball in the dude's court.

He showed up on time, opened my car door, and proceeded to tell me we were going to go ice skating (he was also cute and told me I looked pretty).  ICE SKATING! You GUYS. I was terrified. I am a horrible skater and extremely self conscious. When we arrived, he opened my car door, led the way to the rink, and payed for our tickets and skates. This girl didn't even bring a wallet. **I know we're in the 21st century and girls go halfsies... This girl doesn't go halfsies (unless I've been in a relationship long enough for both of us to talk about that and be comfortable). J-man was the best! He was also very light on his feet and graceful too! He made sure to help me and encourage me to let go of the railings. I didn't fall down once! We also went around for a good 20 minutes and that was long enough for me. We decided to go play pool afterwards and we were both pretty bad at it so it took longer than expected to finish one game. **I warned him** Then we finished the night by crashing a game night at the Butlers filled with witty banter and lots (LOTS) of baked goods. I think J was pretty impressed by my sweet tooth.

Finally, he drove me home, hugged me at the doorstep and wished me a good night. This was totally refreshing! I went out with a handsome guy, had a great time, and came home before I could turn into a pumpkin. J-man could actually do a heck of a job teaching the guys out here in NWA how to treat a girl. So ladies, let him foot the bill. Let him open your car doors. Try something new. You never know until you give it a try!



Comments

Unknown said…
YES!!!!! I LOVE this post because I can tell how happy you were when you wrote it. :) I'm so glad you had such a fantastic date, and that "J" was able to remind you (and all of us) what to expect from the men in our lives! YOU ARE WORTH THAT, and we all are! Love you, Ruby!
Ruby said…
I LOVE you. I love your support. Thank you for reminding me that I'm worth something :)
~Maddi said…
Oh ruby! I've had such a hard time with that lately. Being independent. no longer married. Hard for me to allow someone to pay for a date for me. You have inspired a new way to look at it for me:)

Popular Posts