My Monthday
My mother spoiled us into believing that our birthday could be celebrated all month long. Christmas and Thanksgiving were always great holidays growing up but in the De Santiago household, birthdays were the best. It was during our birthday month that we would hear of how we each individually came to be (minus the gross parts!!). Mom would retell the story of when discovered her pregnancy, the nine months of morning sickness, and finally, how she went through 36 hours of labor to deliver a healthy 9 lbs. 15 oz. baby girl. The story gets better. Once they realized I was a girl and not the boy they had expected, they had no idea what to name me. Andres Eusebio Jr. didn't sound like a good name for a little girl. Fortunately, I was born on one of the best days this country celebrates: Martin Luther King Day. Mom and dad heard many different stories about Civil Rights leaders, boys and girls who had fought for equal rights, and finally they heard a story about a little girl named Ruby Bridges. The rest is history. I was named after an incredible girl and I think that is the reason why I have been in love with politics, civil rights (ironic??), and of course history of any sort.
I am an ordinary person, I decided my sophomore year of college that I wouldn't have to run for President of the U.S. in order to change lives. I realized I could change the lives of the people I come in contact with. For those of you who know me, you know how much I love people. I cherish my friendships and love my family. I feed everyone I come into contact with (must be the latina in me) and even if I am a horrible dancer, I'm not afraid to bust a move.
Back to my monthday... I no longer feel the urge to celebrate my birthday every single day for the whole month of January. I'm kind of sad that I have overcome that stage. 24 has creeped up on me and for once in my life, I am putting complete faith in the Lord because I have no idea what is going to happen. My 10 year plan has evaporated into thin air (some would say crashed and burned but I'm optimistic evaporation is better). Yet, I am happy. I am blessed. I am 24 years old and I seriously do feel like I have my whole life ahead of me. I felt old two years ago. Now I feel 17. I know I will never be that age (or look that good again!) but I wouldn't go back. There are a few things I would tweak a little; going back wouldn't be worth it. I wouldn't have my beautiful child. I wouldn't have graduated with honors in my beloved political science. I wouldn't have experienced such trials of faith that have brought me so much closer to my Father in Heaven.
I wonder if my 10 year plan would have worked... Nah. For someone who is such a creature of habit, I've really learned to break out of that. I can't believe how fast time has gone. I remember my "firsts" of everything and it feels like they just happened. There's no way I learned how to drive 10 years ago!! (well, I guess I still need to work at that). I thought about making another 10 year plan but I'm afraid that won't do me any good. I've started down the untraveled road and it has opened my eyes to so many possibilities. I never wanted to get to 30... Now I just have to accept that's only 5 years away. In 5 years, Max will be old enough to choose to get baptized.
My present to myself this year is to enjoy the good, learn from the bad, focus 100% on Max, write in my journal, and go on some sort of vacation. Why not?? I'm only 24. The world still needs exploring and I'm still young enough to climb some mountains, go down some ski slopes, swim in the ocean, and enjoy the beauty that surrounds me.
I may never completely grow up... And I'm perfectly content with that.
Comments