It's the Little Things

Max calls me "sweetheart." Every night before we go to bed, he gets a bath, we read a book, argue about the pictures in the book, he reads to me... and then after he falls asleep in my arms, I tuck him in his little bed. I don't know how he manages to come back into my bed , but it happens almost every night.




He wakes up every morning excited to see the Incredibles or Cars. He always unhooks my phone and brings it to me ("here's your phone mom" and then I say "thanks babe" his response is "no problem") and proceeds to wake up the rest of the household. He is such a stinking joy and love to have. When we go shopping together, he is the first to tell me that the outfit looks good or bad. He's gotten a lot more stubborn and changes his outfits nearly a dozen times a day. He loves to sing silly songs (love you like a love song- selena gomez). He dances and has a sweet beat. His eyelashes are ridiculously long. His laugh is infectious. I love chasing him around the house in a cape (yes I'm always the bad guy).


He is still small enough to ask for hugs and for lovin'. He has a crush on all my girlfriends and tries to kiss them on the lips OR wipe snot on them (yeah, not romantic). I can't believe he's almost three and getting ready for preschool. I didn't understand the sacredness of motherhood or the love I would have for a child. I'm so in love, so thankful, and incredibly stunned that I was blessed with such a beautiful little life. He is mi vida. My whole world is a funny, scratched up, dirty little boy whom I completely adore.


He tells me he loves me too much. I think of all that we have gone through together in the last two years and we have made it through. How thankful I am that I took a chance on love because in doing so, I was given my little Maxfield Byron.


I may never truly believe fairytales or happily ever afters, but I do know that true, unadultered joy can be experienced in this life by the people that surround us. My heart belongs to a little boy who calls me his mama and sweetheart. Today my heart is overjoyed to have such an incredible opportunity to learn the sacred art of motherhood. I may not wear designer jeans (except today I am, thanks Sally for my Birthday gift!!!!!), or have perfect hair. I may not have a companion to share my joys and sorrows with, or a real sense of grownup-hood.... But at the end of the day, I have someone to come home to who loves me whether I'm done up or not done at all. His little eyes fill with surprise and joy when we go to the park. How did I luck out? I guess I won't ask any questions, I'll just take what I have and run with it because I don't know how long I will be here on this Earth but the one thing I know for sure is that God lives, families can be together forever, and finally... I have a boy.

Comments

Littlemommaesme said…
Haha this post made me laugh. You are suv a beautiful woman ruby. Max is so lucky to hard you as his mama, and I to have you as a sister. And when you go home at night, mom and dad, and the kids are there and they all love you too. Love you sissy!