We Don't Believe in the Easter Bunny
I didn't grow up believing in the Easter Bunny. Since I have Max 90% of the time, I guess he's going to grow up with my traditions. I simply forgot that the Easter Bunny is actually very real among American children. I have no excuse except that I didn't grow up believing in him. I did have an Easter basket for the sole reason of hunting eggs. NO extra movies, treats, clothes, etc. My mother's guilt set in when my FB blew up with Easter weekend pictures, and then I realized, "Ruby, you got this. You have taught your son the real meaning of Easter. There is nothing more important than the story of the Resurrection. He died so we could live again."
My personal pep talk made me feel a million times better. This parenting thing is such a trial and error process. I really feel that Easter needs to be the Christmas of our lives. He suffered, bled, died, and then resurrected. There is no greater joy than to know that Christ lives and we too will rise again. Death was conquered! These last few months I've struggled with Christianity as a whole. I've lost so many friends because of political, religious, and cultural reasons. They were all Christian. I felt judged and ostracized by my Christian counterparts more so than my non-religious friends. At the end of the day, you can claim to be Christian but no one is going to be listening to your words because they'll be too busy watching your actions. This year I've been working on loving my neighbor regardless of religion, race, sex, etc. and so far... My heart has been filled with a love I can't explain. This is what life is all about. Love. I may not have a sweetheart to help me with the loads but I am surrounded by family and friends that support me no matter what. Thank you my sweethearts. Thank you.
![]() |
| My beautiful family! Together forever. |
![]() |
| My very own piece of Heaven. Front row and center even if he hasn't learned to smile yet. |


Comments
2. I wouldn't sweat the easter bunny thing too much. I think it has more to do with confusing kids than helping nail down the meaning of Easter. "Mom, what does this man-sized rabbit and/or these plastic/chocolate eggs have to do with the resurrection of Jesus?" "...ummmmmmmm, hey look, skittles!!" Do you really want your child to understand that he's cherishing the collection of assorted eggs meant to represent the sacred seed of life that is the human ovum? Or that that huge bunny is meant to remind people of the rapid style of reproduction that is often witnessed in rabbit populations? Probably not. He won't draw the causal link right away, but when he's older, you can always tell him that you wanted to keep things about the big guy upstairs and making sure Max is pretty clear on the deets of that story and focus less on the pagan ceremonies reminding everyone to hurry up and have sex to keep the population moving forward. There's your out, you're welcome :)
THANK YOU FOR MY OUT. Jeez, I was stressing about this one. But I never understood the Easter bunny story myself... Until about 2 years ago (if that is saying anything). Thank you for reading dear friend.