Mixed Race

So he's no Abe Lincoln, but google WEB DuBois!
I watched Lincoln. My favorite person in that movie was Judge Stevens who led a pretty interesting life.  Since I'm a huge history buff, it only made sense to go and pick this movie to pieces, just like I normally do any time I watch any historical movie. It's what I do. Anyway, it was fine.

That movie reminded me of how far we have come and how much farther we have to go. Sure, we have advanced as an American body. However, I still hear the use of the "N" word from time to time. I still get told that my lighter complexion makes me pretty and that I'm a huge asset to my race (which BTW I don't fall under any of the categories of RACE since hispanic is actually an ethnicity and the two are completely different). I'm a little tired of humanity today. We need to drop the name calling and labeling. We need to see ourselves as the human race.

Furthermore, if I hear how my skin color is sooo pretty I am probably going to lose it! If my skin color is so beautiful, my glossy hair a perfect chesnut, and my dark almond eyes are so great... then somebody please explain to me why mothers are still telling their sons to steer clear of me? I hate to go all Taylor Swift on blog today, but really?! It's because I'm a mixed race and their son's babies will come out mixed race. Their grandchildren won't look like them. Don't shake your head "NO" because ladies and gentlemen, this still happens today. I have been the brunt of many jokes and I could roll with them before but now I can't. My eyes have been opened and I cannot sit and allow for these beliefs to continue.  

PS- All I have to say to those mommas out there protesting "mixed race" marriages: my mom's grandchildren will always be prettier than yours. I mean, have you seen how dead beautiful that woman is?? She's also a mixed race Latina. *Boom*

Comments

Victoria Marie said…
As a child of mixed ethnicity, girl I feel you. It's really quite shocking. White guys I've dated parents' have issues because , I'm not fully white. Black guys I've dated parents' have issues because I'm not black. "Racism" is still alive and while the treatment I've felt doesn't in any way compare to what went on in our nation's history or what goes on in countries around the world, it still is occurs and it is still just as wrong. Maybe even more so knowing how far we've come. It's an unacceptable way to think and while I understand racism will exist as long as Satan is on this Earth, racism is a choice.
dani mertz said…
My parents were the same way. We are lucky girls! :)
Ruby said…
It's wrong! You're right that racism will always exist but it's still wrong and it still makes my blood boil. You are the most gorgeous girl I've ever met so all those people are missing out on a real gem!! The fact that we are still having this discussion at all is reason enough for this to stop. Ugh. Love ya girl!
Ruby said…
DANI- you're gorgeous and beautiful and smart! We really are lucky :)
Lauren said…
I agree Ruby! We should just be the human race and see no color difference. I've been made fun of too for my extremely white skin. It doesn't tan...seriously. However, I have never had to deal with people avoid dating me because of my color. That is just terrible! I am so sorry!

Popular Posts