Why Pursue A Higher Education??

I have had a lot of people (A LOT) tell me that I'm crazy for going to school as a single mom. The people I thought would be proud of me are the ones trying to talk me out of it. Why I felt like I needed to validate my future to people who don't financially support me is beyond me. I also hope they read this post today because: I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS LIFE. THE ONE WHERE I'm a single mom and it's hard. I had someone tell me I didn't try hard enough at my marriage (like last week) and all I have to say about that is: I know my truth. Okay. That felt nice.

ALL I wanted when I was 18 was to be a soccer mom. My women teachers at school were sickened by that thought and encouraged me to look within myself to find something more appealing. I couldn't think of anything better than a suburban filled with babies. Really. Then I went to college. Then I got divorced and guess what?! I GOT A MOM DEGREE. I always encourage young women to NOT get mom degrees because in case of an emergency, liberal arts can't find jobs. My mommy degree can't help pay the bills like my Accounting Degree would have done (**why did I quit??). Let it be known that I loved my major. I loved my program and I especially loved my friends. I adore those people, however, when it came time to find a job... Nonprofits took me in without any experience.

So ladies, if you're thinking about going back to get another degree, pursue higher education... etc. I encourage you to look at what you want to study and go see the job market. I wish someone had given me a good shaking before embarking into the world without an ounce of experience. XO

Comments