It's All a Little Much

My facebook/twitter/instagram have been taken over by these people who think they understand humanity. They post ridiculous pictures, share comments and ideas that the entire world can read... Only to find out in the near future that they're wrong. **Or so I hope they find out.** My liberal-ness took on a whole new meaning during the recent marriage equality debates. I got some angry phone calls, yelled at, and suddenly was considered the enemy.

The fact of the matter is that I am a Democrat. I am a liberal. This is the way that I am and it has been through a series of fortunate and UNfortunate events that I can share this all with you. Do I vote according to party? No. It's impossible to do that when you're in a county as "red" as mine.

I'm a Feminist. I also love to dress up, wear makeup, and do my hair. It's possible. I believe in creating equal opportunities for men and women. I believe in equal pay for equal work. I believe women should be able to decide for themselves what they need to do with their bodies. I, for one, do not want a man telling me how to dress, eat, sleep, and especially how to treat for my body that he will never understand.

There are some things that I ignore because they're too painful to dwell on. I DO NOT buy the excuse that sometimes our men were men of their time and did things according to those days. I think it's time we came out of the closet and said "hey! we were wrong. sorry." I can believe that the gospel is true and disagree with some principles. How? Well, I have free agency. That means I was given enough intellect to pray about things to figure out if they are true or not. If it rings true to me, I do it. If it doesn't, I do not do it.

Mormon Feminist Liberal Minority. I'm all wrapped up into this confusing and thrilling ball. Part of life is stepping out of the fairytale world and realizing that life isn't just about me. It includes my entire human race and people from all walks of life. Just because my way of life isn't like theirs doesn't make their ways wrongs. It just means we are different. I'm tired of reading all these attacks from all sides. We are ONE RACE: HUMAN. We have a shared responsibility to take care of each other and make this world a better place for future generations. Let's live it. Let's love.

Comments

Lauren said…
I hate the labels too...why can't we all just get along, ya know?! Go Ruby!
Ruby said…
Miss you Lauren! You're the best. Let's all get along!

Popular Posts