Mother's Day: Dia de las Madres

I remember a day, not so long ago, when you were afraid of becoming a mother
You were young, inexperienced, and unsure of what was to come
Yet, you did what many could not do, you brought me into this world
You chose to give me life
I thank you for it

You taught me right from wrong, sometimes you believed yourself too harsh
but really, you weren't.
You were not raised in a home filled with love.
Yet, you raised us with a fierce and loyal love, one I am starting to understand
You chose to love freely
I thank you for it.

You held me when I cried, you wiped away my tears.
My scrapes were always kissed, my bruises always cared for
Your kindness and service is ingrained in my head and heart forever
I thank you for it.

You prepared me for the world, I grew up before we both knew it
The drive to college was harder than I would admit
I knew I would miss you terribly, and I didn't want to be that far from home.
You answered the daily phone calls and hid the tears.
Never once did I hear your silent tears as you listened to my mundane college life
You loved me so much, you set me free.
I thank you for it.

Now, I am a mother with a small one of my own.
Did I look at you the way he looks at me?
Did I run into your arms to protect me from the world?
Did you listen to me as 40 billion questions a day with patience?
I know you did.
I know you did.
I thank you for it.

You are 
strong
beautiful
driven 
Your encouragement and belief in me is awe-inspiring
When many thought I would fail, you cheered me on.
The world needs more Mamis like you
You raised me with spunk.
I thank you for it.

You are
courageous
fierce
powerful
I wouldn't trade you for any other person in the world.
I was given to you and you were perfect for me.
A match made in Heaven.
I love you.
I honor you.

Mi querida Mama, la mas linda de todo el mundo. 
Eres una estrella llena de luz para tu familia. 
Te amo.


Comments

Unknown said…
What a beautiful poem!!! Thank you for sharing this! I seriously LOVE it!

Popular Posts