MLK Speech 50 Years Ago Today
YOU GUYS! Grad school started Monday and it's been great so far!! I have missed my bloggernacle but haven't had time to even read any of y'alls stuff because I come home, cook dinner, play with Max, put him to bed, and then I study my brains out. I finally fell asleep at 2 am last night. I love school.
Since I'm going to the Clinton School of Public Service, I got to see the Presidential Library and heard Bill Clinton speak about the day he heard MLK speak as a young boy. That speech changed his life forever. He went on to (and continues) to vouch for injustices in the world. Regardless of how you feel about Bill's moral life, there is really no denying his great presidency.
MLK gave a speech that shocked many who believed in segregation. They believed that the country would never change and the thought of blacks and whites intermarrying made them cringe. I personally have met some of those people and I have mixed reviews on them. Some are extremely sorry for their thoughts and have changed their ways. I commend them for overcoming stereotypes of their time and for striving to better America. Others are still prejudice and those didn't care for me very much because I am mixed. I used to want to reach out to prejudice people and help them see that I'm a nice person too. I wanted to have a real conversation to show that people like me are an asset to their communities. I stopped beating a dead horse when a cute old man looked me straight in the face and said "I won't let a (insert bad word) in my house. Go back to your own country. We don't want you here." Did it break my heart and make me cry? Yes. Was this old man related to someone I cared about very deeply at the time? Yes.
What injustices thrive today? Who are the people that religions are vehemently opposing? What can we as a society do to prevent this from happening?
I have a million ideas on the subject but it comes down to one thing: EQUALITY UNDER THE LAW. We all deserve the same rights and privileges! It doesn't matter if we are white, black, so mixed there isn't a slot, gay, straight, single, married, divorced, or none of the above. For those of us who have stood on the wrong side of things or decided not to offer an opinion, remember that neutrality is a cop-out. I want my son to know that I stood for difficult things. I want my future posterity to see that I tried my hardest to do what was right in order for them to have a better future. 50 years ago, the conversation barely began. THANKS MLK! THANK YOU FOR HAVING A VOICE AND SHARING YOUR DREAM!!!!
Since I'm going to the Clinton School of Public Service, I got to see the Presidential Library and heard Bill Clinton speak about the day he heard MLK speak as a young boy. That speech changed his life forever. He went on to (and continues) to vouch for injustices in the world. Regardless of how you feel about Bill's moral life, there is really no denying his great presidency.
MLK gave a speech that shocked many who believed in segregation. They believed that the country would never change and the thought of blacks and whites intermarrying made them cringe. I personally have met some of those people and I have mixed reviews on them. Some are extremely sorry for their thoughts and have changed their ways. I commend them for overcoming stereotypes of their time and for striving to better America. Others are still prejudice and those didn't care for me very much because I am mixed. I used to want to reach out to prejudice people and help them see that I'm a nice person too. I wanted to have a real conversation to show that people like me are an asset to their communities. I stopped beating a dead horse when a cute old man looked me straight in the face and said "I won't let a (insert bad word) in my house. Go back to your own country. We don't want you here." Did it break my heart and make me cry? Yes. Was this old man related to someone I cared about very deeply at the time? Yes.
What injustices thrive today? Who are the people that religions are vehemently opposing? What can we as a society do to prevent this from happening?
I have a million ideas on the subject but it comes down to one thing: EQUALITY UNDER THE LAW. We all deserve the same rights and privileges! It doesn't matter if we are white, black, so mixed there isn't a slot, gay, straight, single, married, divorced, or none of the above. For those of us who have stood on the wrong side of things or decided not to offer an opinion, remember that neutrality is a cop-out. I want my son to know that I stood for difficult things. I want my future posterity to see that I tried my hardest to do what was right in order for them to have a better future. 50 years ago, the conversation barely began. THANKS MLK! THANK YOU FOR HAVING A VOICE AND SHARING YOUR DREAM!!!!
Comments