The Rains Came Down and the Floods Came Up
Rainy season has begun! I went on an adventure 15 km down the street to the capital, Asuncion, to explore the monuments and other touristy sites. However, I wasn't able to get too close to certain places due to the array of displaced people. In the last few weeks, over 200,000 people have lost their homes due to extreme flooding. It was devastating to see all of those people without homes, especially all the little children. I wished I had the means to help all those people. I also want to bring all the little children home with me, I know it's against IPSP rules but my heart hurts. I'll post some pics soon.
I will say I am proud of the Paraguayan government, everyone seemed regulated, the streets were clean, and the people seemed, okay. How can I even say that they are "okay" when their livelihoods are gone? I'm trying to look past my American biases and its been a challenge. I keep wanting to fix things the "American" way and my colleagues understand but have reminded me that "[we] do things differently here..." I am only here for a few more weeks and need to remember that I am just one person.
I can't change Paraguay....
Paraguay has changed me.
Comments