Sometimes I'm Bold

So as you all know, I'm a little Wild. It's been my blessing and curse for as long as I can remember. My mother used to say "put her in front of a crowd and she'll shine brighter than a star"- I pretty much agree with that statement. See, I'm not exactly sure what happens but my adrenaline gets the best of me and as it pumps through my body, I become a different person. I don't know why it happens but I do know I enjoy the thrill! Some of my favorite memories involve me entertaining a huge crowd (from family reunions to church camp to entire junior high kids) and I wouldn't have it any other way...
A few weeks ago I was in a beautiful wedding, you know, the kind where every thing was put together perfectly. As part of the bridal party, we were lucky enough to have our hair and makeup done. I had decided I was going to go for the JLo look, with the Big hair, eyelashes, makeup, and the whole shebang! I felt beautiful and with that came a confidence 17 yr. old Ruby rocked back in the day. I don't know if it was the hair or the eyelashes, but one of those gave me just the right amount of confidence I needed to enjoy my night.
At the reception, I taught my guy friends how to swing dance, sang a fewsongs to them, and winked at every eligible man that night. I don't know what came over me!
Well, this is all a build up to how that night ended. I had been introduced to all the single men the bride could think of. Then my friend J, who was in the bridal party with me, mentioned that I needed to meet "this one guy." She pretty much put that guy and I together in her head and boy was she right on the money. I think from now on I shall call her the matchmaker whisperer. Back to my story- Of course, being the stubborn, judgmental person that I am... I glanced once in his direction and swiftly answered nope! He had frat boy all over him from his hair down to his shoes and I had learned a valuable lesson: frat boys must be avoided at all costs. They only want two things and I wasn't about to fall for those tricks. I didn't give him a second thought and continued to have a blast with my boy friends. I had finally decided to get my 5th cranberry juice when I ran into the frat boy. Not wanting to be rude ( and not knowing that J gave him my whole life story before I met him) I introduced myself.
Me: Hi! My name is Ruby
Him: Oh hey there (cute southern accent dang him!)
Me: Isn't this a great wedding? (seriously, couldn't I think of a better line?)
Him: Why yes it is... ** I think that's when I realized he was kind of cute, even if he was a frat boy.
Me: Well it's nice to meet you (brilliant right??)
Him: "It's nice to meet you too. I heard a bit about you...." and I can't remember what he said after that because his southern drawl had taken effect and I refused to believe I could even be attracted to this guy. I had sworn off
Frat boys six months prior and I was sticking to my guns. I couldn't stop myself from smiling back to everything he said or help but notice how charming his brown eyes were. Uh oh. As he continued to converse with me, I began the inner struggle to fight off his charm. I couldn't understand why I thought he was cute. Or why suddenly my heart started beating faster than usual. I do remember him asking why someone had made a big deal out of meeting me and I looked him straight in the eye and said "it's because I'm awesome," winked at him, half-smiled and walked off. Can you believe I did that??!! I'm still in shock from it.
He was just about to leave the wedding but ended up staying and danced the rest of the night by my side. He has some pretty good moves and the whole time I hoped to look like I knew what I was doing. We talked and danced and before I knew it, the wedding was over. I knew I needed to get home before I turned into a pumpkin but I was having so much fun I didn't want to leave. He asked me if he could walk me to my car ( ladies he is a gentleman) and I blushed a yes. Seriously though, I blushed. I must have had my game on because my flirtatious personality was on an all time high and we had a pleasant conversation before I got into my car. I knew nothing would come from this. He lives quite a few hours from me and we both have demanding jobs but he somehow got my number from me. Then without a further ado, he leaned in and kissed me!! On the lips! My mind was going 150mph and I couldn't put a thought together... That's how cute the moment was.
And this is my story on how sometimes I'm bold. This is an ongoing story that doesn't have a sure ending but I wanted to write for those of you single ladies that might avoid weddings at all costs. They're not always horrible AND who knows?? Maybe you'll meet someone you wouldn't have met otherwise. Either way, I'm sure glad my friends are getting married!


Comments

Popular Posts