Another Day at the Office

I often find myself gazing outside of my windowless office, wondering about what my future holds. I used to be such a stickler to plans and for the first time in my life, I have no plan. I live every day to the fullest and wake up with a sense of wonder. I go through my daily routine and from time to time, I catch myself smiling and laughing. I think I'm on to something here. I'm starting to really enjoy life. I never thought I would have a lot of money or be the perfect housewife. I always saw myself working for non-profit organizations and poor people. I am the little peoples' advocate through and through. I saw myself in a house big enough to house a half a dozen children with all sorts of different personalities. It's during those moments when I sit down and wonder the "what ifs" that I have to take a step back from the fast paced world and find my center. I am not even close to ever reaching 6 children, however, I do have one incredible child who rules my life. He shows me patience and love, charity and humility. He is my first thought in the morning and the last one before I go to sleep. True love has got nothin' on this :). As always, I am a skeptic and think that there may not be happy endings for everyone. Yet, when I wake up to baby kisses and hugs, I don't really care about how the "end" really turns out. I am enjoying the middle part of my journey, that is enough for me right now.
I'm excited for Christmas. It brings back so many good memories of my childhood and adolescent years. I remember nearly sitting under the mistletoe so a boy I had a crush on would accidentally walk under it (no it never worked for me haha) or the time my parents decided we were going to give Christmas instead of receiving any gifts. That was one of my favorite Christmases to date. I was able to travel up and down the coast of Mexico in a big ol' Ford truck and hand out shoes, blankets, toys, hygiene products, and most of all, love. I learned to love my fellow men by serving them (and yes, I may be a little teary as I write this). What more can I teach my child about this special holiday?? I am a firm believer in a handful of toys, baking sugar cookies, and writing to Santa. But all those things aside, I am also a humanitarian in the sense that I love being there for others when they are in need. Service was ingrained in me and I'm so thankful that I was raised that way. I wouldn't be who I am today without the knowledge I have of loving all of God's children.
We met so many families living together in really desolate areas, with a goat or cow for milk and cheese. I can't wait to do this again with my children at an age where they can understand the meaning of service and sacrifice :)
I know He's a grown man in this one, but I love any images with Jesus and little children!I want Max to have a Christ-centered Christmas. Toys are fun to receive, don't get me wrong. But there is so much more joy in seeing someone less fortunate or who has gone through a really hard time smile again. I will always be a poor person because I love to give to everyone. Some see it as a character flaw, I see it as part of who I am. I remember when we were very little and my parents were struggling to get things for Christmas. Mom was heavily pregnant with my little brother and all of their lives savings were going to this unborn child's delivery. Mom, being the great person she is, made us homemade dresses and other great things. Dad worked hard to get me a barbie I had been starry eyed for for months. A few days before Christmas, there was a knock on our door. When we opened it, there were bagfuls of girl clothes, jackets, coats, and plenty of toys for my little sister and I to share. Under the bags, we found lots of goodies, a ham and everything else to go with it to make a delicious Sunday meal. I saw the tears in my parents eyes and I felt (as a child) so blessed. We had not been forgotten. Now, years later, we can return the favor to help another young family struggling to get through the holidays.
These are the colors I want to use for my Christmas tree that isn't up yet... But it should be after this weekend!I'm excited for this Christmas season and I'm so thankful that I get a whole month to remember the birth of Christ.
Comments