Hard Women
I work in an office setting. I don't mind it at all and because we're nearly all women, we have a lot of fun together. I love that most of us are locals and so we know a lot of what the culture is like down here. Although the Civil War has been over and done with for 100+ years, the culture hasn't changed that much. Southern men and women carry the same characteristics their forefathers had.
Southern women are still classy. They speak in sweet drawls and understand the power of persuasion. They have no desire to be exactly like men because they know that they're way cooler than the men (haha it's true). I think that in today's society, women have to work hard to get the same respect and status as men. Women are still paid less than men (in all fields of work) and more is expected out of them. Nevertheless, we have more women CEO's, administrators, VPs than ever before. But something has been lost: femininity. Women aren't soft, delicate, gentle, or kind anymore. It's been lost through competition for better positions.
I love being in the South because women down here know that they are smart and successful. Yet, they're still soft and delicate, kind and gentle. I love being a woman. I love dressing up and doing my hair. I am learning to love high heels and I've embraced dresses. I love knowing that I'm different from the male species. I don't think I'm better than men but I do know that I'm distinctively incomparable to them (and that is fine by me). I wish that women in the corporate world everywhere could realize that they really can have it all: classy, delicate, sweet, and still come off victorious in the corporate world. Thus, ladies please enjoy your nature. Enjoy being different and embrace all that is good and pure. We are the future mothers and it is in use to nurture and love. We will have created a better world if we learn how to complete our role (which inherently becomes our responsibility)
Ok- so Scarlet O'Hara isn't the best example of a classy southern lady, but I just finished Gone with the Wind and she kind of inspired this whole note. Thanks Scarlet!
Comments