Leaving On A Jet Plane

If you want to know what I looked like as a kid, exhibit A- the child on the left is kind of my clone. Isabella, Edgar and Max.
You GUYS. I took MB to my old stomping grounds in California, visited over 50 cousins (I'm not kidding- 16+38+24= 78 people we visited in one week) and ate enough food to kickstart our obesity. It's a good thing MB has an excellent metabolism and I exercised often. I will say it helps to be surrounded by physically conscious people 24/7. Californians are very eco-friendly and healthy people. The only time they aren't friendly is on the highway.

I took MB and some of his cousins to the Monterey Aquarium. With tears in his eyes, he told me he didn't want to see creatures in captivity. I told him that this aquarium helps the eco-system and reassured him that the "creatures" weren't in misery. Once I convinced him that they actually helped to protect wildlife, he had a great time.
MB: "I don't want to go to the aquarium b/c I don't want to see the creatures in captivity!"

Just 5 of the 38 people at the house. Check out these handsome cousins having a great time! #cousinlove
Grandmas are the best and so are silly little dudes. Also loved the honey from this place!
One of the highlights of my trip was interacting with my sweet family. I loved seeing them take us in, spoil MB rotten and tell us stories of my parents. The posole, turkey, ham and tamales were to DIE for and made me even more proud to be a Mexican-American. If it doesn't include posole and tamales, then it's not a real Mexican Thanksgiving. I had forgotten what it was like to be completely surrounded by Spanish and people that look like me. It wasn't until I walked into a restaurant in LA with mariachi music and glanced around that I realized how good it felt to be "home." Don't worry my fellow Arkansans, I still love my NWA but this was different. For one week, I completely submerged myself in my roots and culture. It had been years since my return and honestly, it was incredibly nice to be around a melting pot of people that spoke and ate like me. I needed this break, to remind myself that I've accomplished a lot and with MB by my side, we will conquer the world- ahem, life. 


My great aunt Flora- 4th generation Italian descent. So glad I got to visit with her before I left.


These houses are examples of the structures Filipino migrant workers lived in during the 30's onward.
They're set up in Monterey Bay and a good reminder for all of us that we are a country of immigrants. Also, many of our Filipino family members lived in similar situations. I'm proud of my mixed ancestry!

Comments

Popular Posts