What's the Deal with Mitt Romney??

So, as many of you know... I love politics. I love debating ideas with people, hearing other points of views, and trying to keep my mind open to new information. It's a thrill. I think runners and athletes get that same feeling when they're doing their passion (I'm referring to exercise here). Unless you have been living under a rock, I'm sure you have at least heard of the controversies Mitt Romney is facing in the 2012 election, mostly non that have to do with his policies. This is the part of politics that really irritates me. I don't care if the guy is brown, yellow, or red. But don't mess with his religion. We're living in a free country where we are all allowed to worship as we please. If there was a guy who was Atheist and still had great moral beliefs, great political agendas, and done good things in his life, I would vote for him. I know a lot of people will disagree with me. But this is my blog with my personal points of view.
~Growing up, my very best childhood friend was Atheist. Like, completely. She believed that Aliens were going to take over the world, we would change to look like them, and our pinkies would fall off (give her a break, we were in the 4th grade when she confessed her beliefs!). Yet, she was the most morally virtuous person I knew. She never disobeyed her parents. She never drank or smoked in high school. She never cursed. She was the prime example of a good moral person and yet she had no believe in God. When everyone else (all the "good moral Christian kids) were having bad parties, drinking, smoking, I was hanging out with this girl. Boy am I glad I did. She has grown up into a great human being and although we don't talk much about religion, I love her and she loves me and she loves Mormons because they've been nice to her. She would have my vote in any election. Too bad she hates politics.
BACK TO MITT:
I will let the facts speak for themselves. He was the governor of Massachusetts back in 2003-07. He did a great job while in office. He managed to turned the ailing economy of the great state of MA into a thriving one once he left office. Before this- he was a successful business man, turned companies into thriving ones, and even helped during the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. They had reached a crisis and he was able to lead the way out. He has a lot of experience from working in the private sector. He's been involved in politics for a long time (his dad and mom). Whether he's Mormon or not... That is not the question. The real question is whether or not he is qualified. With all the expertise of a 23 1/2 year old Political Science Grad, I say a very strong YES. Now, I'm still waiting to hear back about some other social issues Mitt and I don't see eye to eye. But he has everything it takes to be a strong leader. I just hope Americans take the ignorance out of their hearts and look at a Man for what he is worth and what he can do for his country.
Confession: I never thought I'd ever vote Republican (unless Ronald Reagan came back from the dead...) but I'm very impressed by what I see, and I'm a skeptic. I guess never is a strong word. There are just some things that are deal breakers. What can I say? I'm all about people's rights, WOMENS rights, and I love minorities.
He's got the looks, the words, the integrity, the moral justice, and not gonna lie... a little bit of swag.
Comments