Potty Training Woes
I love blogs, especially mommy ones. If any of you read this, feel free to give me some insights.
You see, I have a real problem, the type that can't be fixed. My problem involves a definite fear of changing diapers and cleaning up vomit. Just the thought of doing those things makes me gag (seriously, my trash can is right next to me as I speak). My gag reflex is a pretty bad one. When I was a little kid, I would barf just by seeing another kid eating his lunch (if it looked disgusting). One of my most horrifying memories happened in kindergarten. We had been told that we would eat green eggs and ham, in honor of Dr. Seuss. I was so excited to eat green eggs and ham, until they sat the plate before me. I ruined that day for a lot of excited kindergarteners and after throwing up, I was swiftly sent home. The next time they did anything remotely cool, they asked my parents to come just to make sure I wouldn't barf if something grossed me out. See, there is no stopping that from coming. It probably explains why I threw up seven times a day while I was pregnant.
I know this is referring to a lot of gross things but here's the deal. I can't potty train. In fact, my child can pretty much change his own diaper and I can't handle being a bad mother any longer. I love Max so much. I.Just.Can't.Handle.Potty.Training. He was pretty much set to go but a few messes happened and I gave up. I know, how could I ?? But it was embarrassing for even me to hear my child comfort me any time something grossed me out. He's even used to it by now. Poor guy. I don't mean to be that way but this is getting out of control. Does anyone know of any anti-sickness pills?? Should I just take whatever I took while I was pregnant for the REST OF MY LIFE so this doesn't continue to happen??
My child is pretty much potty trained. He sits and goes on the big toilet (don't even get me started on the little kid potties) but sometimes he forgets to tells me (he has a diaper so I guess he thinks, eh, whatever). I just don't want my issues to prevent Max from being the best he can be. I mean, he's heard about this since the womb. I hope I don't scar him for life.
Oh well, these are my potty training woes. I want to do it. I want to help him. He knows how to do it... Why am I having such a hard time transitioning?? Most moms want their kids to be potty trained. Today, motherhood is a lot harder than usual because today I'm facing my fears.
I'm recommitting to potty training max over the thanksgiving break. I may or may not post a lot of updates on how awful/great it's going. Any ideas would be appreciated.
You see, I have a real problem, the type that can't be fixed. My problem involves a definite fear of changing diapers and cleaning up vomit. Just the thought of doing those things makes me gag (seriously, my trash can is right next to me as I speak). My gag reflex is a pretty bad one. When I was a little kid, I would barf just by seeing another kid eating his lunch (if it looked disgusting). One of my most horrifying memories happened in kindergarten. We had been told that we would eat green eggs and ham, in honor of Dr. Seuss. I was so excited to eat green eggs and ham, until they sat the plate before me. I ruined that day for a lot of excited kindergarteners and after throwing up, I was swiftly sent home. The next time they did anything remotely cool, they asked my parents to come just to make sure I wouldn't barf if something grossed me out. See, there is no stopping that from coming. It probably explains why I threw up seven times a day while I was pregnant.
I know this is referring to a lot of gross things but here's the deal. I can't potty train. In fact, my child can pretty much change his own diaper and I can't handle being a bad mother any longer. I love Max so much. I.Just.Can't.Handle.Potty.Training. He was pretty much set to go but a few messes happened and I gave up. I know, how could I ?? But it was embarrassing for even me to hear my child comfort me any time something grossed me out. He's even used to it by now. Poor guy. I don't mean to be that way but this is getting out of control. Does anyone know of any anti-sickness pills?? Should I just take whatever I took while I was pregnant for the REST OF MY LIFE so this doesn't continue to happen??
My child is pretty much potty trained. He sits and goes on the big toilet (don't even get me started on the little kid potties) but sometimes he forgets to tells me (he has a diaper so I guess he thinks, eh, whatever). I just don't want my issues to prevent Max from being the best he can be. I mean, he's heard about this since the womb. I hope I don't scar him for life.
Oh well, these are my potty training woes. I want to do it. I want to help him. He knows how to do it... Why am I having such a hard time transitioning?? Most moms want their kids to be potty trained. Today, motherhood is a lot harder than usual because today I'm facing my fears.
I'm recommitting to potty training max over the thanksgiving break. I may or may not post a lot of updates on how awful/great it's going. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Comments
The first thing you have to do is have a training toilet in the bathroom. Every time you have to go(pretend), make sure he/she goes with you. This way you both will be doing it together. Stay inthere for about 3 mins reading a book, singing a song ect. Take them to the bathroom Every 15-20 mins and have them sit on the toilet. Have them wear underware, that way when they do have an accident they can see that being wet is not fun( well, that's what Lilly thought). Whe they actually so go potty make sure you reward them some how( doing a funny dance, candy, park, stickers, and so forth). Then when you least expected they will be telling you they have to go.
Have fun!!! :)
DIANA- this post was super helpful!!! thanks. I'll let you know how it goes next week!