On My Own...- Les Miserables

That is one of my favorite songs. Ever. It is such a heartfelt song that touches to the core. I've pondered the lyrics and these last few months I understand some of that raw pain she feels when she sings that song. She may not be able to have him, except in her mind, but even then that is good enough for her. It is impossible to describe or understand heartache when you haven't experienced it. I'd like to think of it as childbirth. I knew that it would be painful. I knew that it would be one of the most difficult things I would experience, however it wasn't until I was going through it that I realized what the whole process is like. Childbirth wasn't unbearable. Yes, it was painful. Yes it is hard to describe. But it remains one of the best moments of my life. At that moment, with the help of Mom, nurses, and Justin (when he wasn't nervous eating...) I was able to bring my son into the world.






I feel like heartbreak is the very same thing. We understand that it is going to hurt. We understand that things will never be the same. But it isn't until we've truly experienced heartbreak that we really know what takes place. The sun doesn't shine as bright. The world doesn't spin as usual. The world is so much more sad and dark. Once we go through this, we're reminded that things will get better and that life itself will heal with time. But it is during those very moments that we feel the depths of despair, the bitterness of pain, and the pang of loneliness. There are no words to describe such feelings and unless you've gone through them, you cannot understand them.
This is where the atonement and strong friendships/families kick in. As a unit, we all unite to comfort those in pain. I remember seeing my friends go through breakups, family divorces, and other sad moments involving love but I never understood the true pain that those experiences bring. Nevertheless, I know that "Adam fell that we might be..." and we're here to experience unadultered joy. The true joy that will help us become more like the Father. The joy that will soothe the sorrows and wounds in our hearts. There is happiness to be had in life. I wish I could comfort all the widows from our current war. I wish I could comfort their little children that no longer have a parent. I wish I could mend the brokeness in a heart close to me. Time will heal all and hopefully someday soon, the Sun will begin to shine as bright as before and the world will feel like a friendlier and better place.

Comments

Lauren said…
Love you Ruby :)
Angie Adam said…
Beautifully written Ruby. I have wished over and over there was more I could say or do to ease your burden. Love you so much.

Popular Posts