What Will You Do?
I have a question for you today. What will your last 5 minutes on this earth be like? I read this beautiful article in the New York Times where Rabbi Kenneth Berger describes what it's like to know that death is about to occur without there being anything we could do. He then poses the question, what would we do? I've been doing a lot of soul searching, for lack of a better word. This new season has brought about great experiences, mixed with a few Greek tragedies. As I devoured his article, I sat in silence and pondered on his words. What would I choose to do with my last 5 minutes of life? Would I make a phone call? Hug my small son and comfort him? Would I experience crippling anxiety and fear?
Immediately, my heart fluttered. I would say "I love you." We have the opportunity every day to change ourselves into better people. As I strive to teach my son to live authentically and introduce him to all sorts of cultures and ways of life, I forget to slow down and live in the moment. I'm always planning for the future. It's been my greatest sense of hope and failure because the future is not here. These last few weeks, I've worked really hard to be still, meditate, get in touch with my universe and learn from the past, so as to not make the same mistakes in the future. I would choose to love those last 5 minutes because I've been given an opportunity to truly love someone and that's not a careless gift.
Don't put anything off for tomorrow because we don't know what it will bring. Go home, hug your partner, play with your child and breathe. I wish we could all experience a little unadulterated love, it livens the senses and boosts so many endorphins. Above all else, it completes the soul.
Immediately, my heart fluttered. I would say "I love you." We have the opportunity every day to change ourselves into better people. As I strive to teach my son to live authentically and introduce him to all sorts of cultures and ways of life, I forget to slow down and live in the moment. I'm always planning for the future. It's been my greatest sense of hope and failure because the future is not here. These last few weeks, I've worked really hard to be still, meditate, get in touch with my universe and learn from the past, so as to not make the same mistakes in the future. I would choose to love those last 5 minutes because I've been given an opportunity to truly love someone and that's not a careless gift.
Don't put anything off for tomorrow because we don't know what it will bring. Go home, hug your partner, play with your child and breathe. I wish we could all experience a little unadulterated love, it livens the senses and boosts so many endorphins. Above all else, it completes the soul.
Comments