"I'm a real man, Mom!"

MBH is growing like a weed. He eats as much as my sisters and I did (all put together). He has opinions and expresses them often. There is no greater joy than watching him grow into himself. I don't know at what point he drifted from toddler to preschooler to full-fledged kid. Max's intellectual and emotional growth are astounding. I see this little being that interacts and sees the world through a completely different lense and some days it's cool and other days is worrisome. Am I teaching him correct principles? Is he missing out on life because he's raised by a single mom? Can I give him the happiness he needs to thrive? Everyone I know has an opinion on how to raise kids and many have expressed how I can raise my kid to be a successful person... Here's the deal, raising a little person is a lot of work. It's difficult and guilt-ridden sometimes. I'll never forget the first time I bought Max a happy meal. I felt so guilty allowing all that nasty food in his system. But I also had to rush back to school and the reality was simple: I was in an honors program and didn't have time to cook at home. Also, that still makes me feel guilty... Jeez. Parent guilt never fails.

Professor M refuses to sleep anywhere else in the house but his office. 

I really wish we could all learn to be kinder towards parents and I expect parents to be kinder to one another. The choice of parenthood is a gift and we must respect those that make this choice. It's not for the faint of heart. When we have moved, I've worried about the people that come into his life because I understand what it's like to not have consistency. These decisions were hard to make because there is the possibility that someone will end up disappointed. My #1 worry is disappointing this small child that looks at everything in life as a challenge and joy. May he continue on this path. May he know he is loved. May he have the courage to live the life he wants and not what others expect out of him.

These kind 6th graders let MBH play a pick up game of basketball. So sweet.
These last few weeks MBH and I have gotten closer than we had in a long time. As he learns to sort through his emotions, I hope to teach him important skills like courtesy, kindness, service and compassion. When he cries, I tell him it's okay to express his emotions that way. When he's sad, we acknowledge that life doesn't always turn out like it should - however, I always intersect that he will always, always have a tribe of people surrounding him. I have a tribe that loves, helps, cares, chastises and worries for my small man cub. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Comments

Popular Posts