Welcome, Fall
The crisp breeze has arrived and I am elated. I love Fall. It leads to my favorite holidays. This time of year is very special to my family and our sweet traditions.
Speaking of Family traditions, Pope Francis came to the United States. I am an ex-Catholic and pretty in touch with some of the rituals and traditions; I was thrilled to hear that the Pope would be visiting the U.S. I was not so thrilled to hear that he canonized one of the early Jesuits that began the mission work among my people over 500 years ago. However, I was impressed with his message to Congress and the citizenry, especially his focus on immigrants and the poor.
I define myself as a fluid Mormon. I'm no shady character but rather indecisive when it comes to bowing to religious authority. I am my own master and have worked tirelessly to mold my character into who I am today. I don't care about religious name tags and labels. I care about the poor, hungry, abused, and neglected. The best way I have ever shared God's love for others is when I am in the service of my fellow man/woman/child.
This fall, I vow to do more community service. I may not be loading my kid up on Halloween candy or s'mores but I will be filling his mind with opportunities to give back to his community. The only way he will learn to love others is by serving and watching. I can preach religion at the guy until I'm blue in the face but that means nothing because ACTIONS are LOUDER than words.
Today, I cuddled Max. We raced around town to do chores. We held hands and watched hilarious cat videos. He told me he loves me. What more is there to life?!
Speaking of Family traditions, Pope Francis came to the United States. I am an ex-Catholic and pretty in touch with some of the rituals and traditions; I was thrilled to hear that the Pope would be visiting the U.S. I was not so thrilled to hear that he canonized one of the early Jesuits that began the mission work among my people over 500 years ago. However, I was impressed with his message to Congress and the citizenry, especially his focus on immigrants and the poor.
I define myself as a fluid Mormon. I'm no shady character but rather indecisive when it comes to bowing to religious authority. I am my own master and have worked tirelessly to mold my character into who I am today. I don't care about religious name tags and labels. I care about the poor, hungry, abused, and neglected. The best way I have ever shared God's love for others is when I am in the service of my fellow man/woman/child.
This fall, I vow to do more community service. I may not be loading my kid up on Halloween candy or s'mores but I will be filling his mind with opportunities to give back to his community. The only way he will learn to love others is by serving and watching. I can preach religion at the guy until I'm blue in the face but that means nothing because ACTIONS are LOUDER than words.
Today, I cuddled Max. We raced around town to do chores. We held hands and watched hilarious cat videos. He told me he loves me. What more is there to life?!
Comments