First day of 1st Grade

I watch him as he dresses carefully, choosing a light blue collared shirt to wear with his favorite shorts. He puts on his new camo shoes, the ones with the laces. He hasn't learned how to tie them yet but he refuses to wear anything else. He carefully combs his hair, brushes his teeth, and finally puts on his new pair of glasses. He looks in the mirror and smiles. He likes what he sees. He grins from ear to ear and he's glowing. 1st grade has finally arrived and he is ready. He checks his backpack, just to make sure his school supplies didn't walk out in the middle of the night, and packs three of his favorite PEZ dispensers into the front pocket. He looks at me and waits for a reprimand but instead, I let him take the pez to school. It's the first day, he should take something with him that reminds him of home.

We take him out to eat a morning bagle, he eats it in three bites and reminds us that we need to hurry or else he will be late. He finishes the cream cheese and rubs a napkin all over his face to get the crumbs off.

He gets out of the car, rushes inside, looks around, takes a fast picture with me, finds his friends, and  his teacher. Before I get a hug good bye or a kiss on the cheek, or any sort of acknowledgement, he is gone. They move towards the classroom and I grab my camera, ready to snap a picture. But this new quirky technology takes too long to load and before I snap a picture, he's gone. I feel a little disappointed. It went too fast. We've been waiting months for 1st grade and just like that, it's already begun. I feel unready. Was he supposed to grow this fast? No one mentions that during the tortured sleepless baby nights or teething mornings. I longed for the days I could send him to school and communicate effectively with him. Now that we can, I  grasp at the minutes and days, hoping that I won't miss everything. But I do.

I am proud of him, all grown up in his 6 year old glory. He is kind, compassionate, fiery, and uses a wild imagination every day.

Hello First Grade. Welcome.

Comments

Kennedy said…
They sure grow up fast! I can't believe he's so big! And YOU lady. Congratulations!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Popular Posts