Dear People Flying the Confederate Flag in Northwest AR
Hello,
I wanted to let you know that I acknowledge your freedom to fly whatever flag you want. I also believe in the constitution and upholding its "right to liberty..." and expression. However, I must tell you that I am scared of you. When you fly that flag, you are infringing on my rights to live a peaceful life. You are helping to instill a fear a thought I had outgrown.
Growing up in a predominantly white South, I had to learn to assimilate. Not integrate. I tried hard not to stick out with my brown skin and dark eyes. It was a hopeless tactic but I didn't want to draw negative attention from the boys who taunted Latinos in the school parking lots. They displayed the Confederate flag proudly. Their ancestors died fighting in the great Civil War (no one told them that their ancestors were traitors to their country) and it is a part of history, one in which no lessons were learned.
The flag you display carries the blood of Union soldiers and many minority lives, especially black lives. Have you looked outside your windows when you drive around town? Have you seen the people who shrink away from you? Are you aware that you are infringing on others' right to live peacefully? The Confederate flag was flown by the KKK and continues to be a symbol of hate and white supremacy. Are you a hateful white supremacist? Are you more American than I simply because our skin color is different?
I will not tell you the countless hours I spent learning U.S. history in order to be a better citizen. Or the endless hours I volunteered to help my community. I will spare you the story of my immigrant parents. BUT ONE THING I WILL NOT DO IS STAND IDLY BY AS YOU RUIN AND DESECRATE our great, beloved Northwest Arkansas. We are trying to recruit people from the United States and abroad. We are working to make everyone feel welcome. YOU are taking away from this incredible expansion simply because you fly a flag that is threatening. Even if you don't see anything wrong with it, the simple act of flying that flag says that you AGREE with racism. You AGREE with discrimination. You AREE with white supremacy. Surely, you are not all of these characteristics. But if you are, it's time you realize that NWA is 43% Latino. The population has quadrupled in the last 20 years. It will only continue to grow.
So please, someone call the MAYOR. Someone make a public announcement that Northwest Arkansas is welcoming of all.
Also, please stop flying a flag that carries so much blood.
Sincerely,
Ruby
I wanted to let you know that I acknowledge your freedom to fly whatever flag you want. I also believe in the constitution and upholding its "right to liberty..." and expression. However, I must tell you that I am scared of you. When you fly that flag, you are infringing on my rights to live a peaceful life. You are helping to instill a fear a thought I had outgrown.
Growing up in a predominantly white South, I had to learn to assimilate. Not integrate. I tried hard not to stick out with my brown skin and dark eyes. It was a hopeless tactic but I didn't want to draw negative attention from the boys who taunted Latinos in the school parking lots. They displayed the Confederate flag proudly. Their ancestors died fighting in the great Civil War (no one told them that their ancestors were traitors to their country) and it is a part of history, one in which no lessons were learned.
![]() |
| This is the only flag I will fly. God Bless America!! |
The flag you display carries the blood of Union soldiers and many minority lives, especially black lives. Have you looked outside your windows when you drive around town? Have you seen the people who shrink away from you? Are you aware that you are infringing on others' right to live peacefully? The Confederate flag was flown by the KKK and continues to be a symbol of hate and white supremacy. Are you a hateful white supremacist? Are you more American than I simply because our skin color is different?
I will not tell you the countless hours I spent learning U.S. history in order to be a better citizen. Or the endless hours I volunteered to help my community. I will spare you the story of my immigrant parents. BUT ONE THING I WILL NOT DO IS STAND IDLY BY AS YOU RUIN AND DESECRATE our great, beloved Northwest Arkansas. We are trying to recruit people from the United States and abroad. We are working to make everyone feel welcome. YOU are taking away from this incredible expansion simply because you fly a flag that is threatening. Even if you don't see anything wrong with it, the simple act of flying that flag says that you AGREE with racism. You AGREE with discrimination. You AREE with white supremacy. Surely, you are not all of these characteristics. But if you are, it's time you realize that NWA is 43% Latino. The population has quadrupled in the last 20 years. It will only continue to grow.
So please, someone call the MAYOR. Someone make a public announcement that Northwest Arkansas is welcoming of all.
Also, please stop flying a flag that carries so much blood.
Sincerely,
Ruby

Comments