My Walk with Ruby Bridges

Norman Rockwell's depiction of Ruby Bridges, 1963.

I bear the good fortune and responsibility of my name, Ruby. I decided to be born 2 weeks late and took 36 solid hours to arrive into my parents' arms (so I like to take my time, I'm a diva) so my mom took the liberty of naming me after a little girl she admired. Thanks mom! Sorry about the labor... 

My mother has taught me everything I need to know about feminism and equality. She taught me to be proud of my mixed ancestry and when I came of age to understand where my name came from, she placed a mantel of strength on my shoulders. Ruby Bridges quickly became my own personal hero and our similarities were more apparent from then on. There were days when all I wished for was blond hair and light skin. I wanted to blend in. On those days I would run home and my mother would teach me ways to love myself and accept my looks.  I now know we come in all shapes and sizes and colors of the rainbow. I often wonder if I hadn't had Ruby Bridges to fall back on, would I still have carried myself with pride? For I was named after a special woman whom I've never met, yet I will always carry her in my heart. She got me through the saddest days and I remembered her when I accomplished the most incredible things.

MLK day came and went. I honor him and many others who made it possible for ME to be here, blogging away, sharing in freedoms my ancestors fought for but never got to enjoy. There is still much work to be done in the topic of equality (ESP for women!!!!) however, today I will bow my head and thank those who came before me. I thank my momma for choosing such a name for me to carry. I can't imagine what that little girl experienced, going to a school where no one would accept her, yet she held her head high and went anyway. THAT is a true hero.

I love the South. I love the principles my friends and I grew up with. I don't love the bigotry and I am excited to see the progressive thoughts of the North slowly seep into the South's way of life. I feel more at ease raising my precious child in this community.


Comments

Popular Posts