I'm 23- er- 20 something?

Hi guys! Ready for the update? It's my birthday and I have an age problem. I've been stuck on age 23 for the last 3 years. It was a good year for me... Thus began my journey of finding MYSELF and learning that I never belonged to anyone but myself. Happier years have followed. Today, I woke up to an amazing wee lad who I love and cherish more than anyone else. I dropped him off at school and got to spend some one-on-one with this seriously handsome guy who made me breakfast, spoiled me with a great lunch, and topped off my big 26 with an ice cream stop after we picked up MBH from school. These men have kept me on my toes and it's everything I hadn't considered and more. Funny how life works that way, right?

The sun shines brighter down here and I fit so much better in this world that accepts individualized, feminist women who aren't the stay-at-home type. My feminist streak is only getting stronger these days. Finding my self-worth was a great start. No one in the world can tell me how to live my life or what expectations to live. Did you know life is too short to try to please everyone? I think of alllllll of the wonderful ladies I met at BYUI who are now married with children and my heart hopes that they won't experience what I did. I'm afraid of the world they will be tossed into if things don't work out because there is no room for those experiences. My heart hurts for all those incredibly smart women who opted to stay home instead of finishing their careers or those who sacrificed themselves so their husbands could finish because ultimately, he's the one who's supposed to be the bread winner. Since I'm on this side of the green grass, I often wonder if they regret their decisions. I wonder if they are truly as happy as they make it seem on Instagram and Facebook.

I don't write this post to condemn anyone for their choices. I'm just curious because the women who helped raise a group of us are now divorced or widowed and have nothing to fall back on. My question is one of how to help our daughters, sisters, and mothers from falling prey to the notion that men will take care of them, protect them, and share their priesthood. What happens to these lost souls who experience a heartbreak? How many women fight off the loneliness by taking depression meds to survive another day? Why are we teaching our daughters to be "weak" when their worth is so much more?

Comments

Tiffanie said…
My parents taught me to be strong and encouraged me to go to school. I worked for my degree and used it. And then I chose to be home with my children. It's what I wanted. And I will be forever grateful that my husband supported that - not forced that. I'm sorry for what happened in your life, I really am. But being a stay at home is something I've looked forward to for a long time. I hope you realize that some women feel lucky to have that, not trapped or worthless.
Ruby said…
Tiff- I wasn't trying to come off condescending. I know that is a very personal choice and I know it works very well for many women. I'm not sorry for what happened in my life because it happened for a reason and this post wasn't asking for pity. It was asking a question in regards to how those women function and how we can teach our daughters another way, another path that I wasn't taught. I realize there are women out there who do feel lucky enough to stay home. Just because we live differently from each other doesn't mean I think I'm better off or see these women as "worthless."

Popular Posts