I Graduated and Max believes in the big bang theory

Graduation came and went, I wish I had taken the time to savor the moments. I was BEYOND excited to walk across the stage and shake hands with everyone. It went by so fast, it wasn't until we were walking out of the theatre that it hit me, I am a master of public service. I have come to realize I am more than titles. As a mother, sister, daughter, aunt, best friend, girlfriend... I love all of these titles but they don't truly define me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that two years of overanalyzing details has taught me that I am still working on self-mastery.

These last few weeks I have been searching out job opportunities, volunteering with local law enforcement and Latinos, and going to church. I finally cracked some good books and I read every day. I also try to play and swim with Maxi as much as possible. His childhood is slipping through my fingertips and it seems he grows an inch every time I stop to look at him.
It is hard work to raise a small man. I know parents with grown adults know what I'm talking about here but sheesh, the guy is brilliant. I swear he can see right through me. As we continue to figure out our mother/son relationship, I have stumbled on some good discoveries. Children are really smart. They know what's going on, even when they aren't able to fully express their ideas or emotions. Max is different from other children in the sense that he is empathetic and kind. He asks hard questions and doesn't take "because I said so" as an answer. He asked me about death and divorce the other day. THE SAME DAY. We also talked about sharks, tigers, and pet dogs on that day but the death and divorce really stick out.
M: You and dad got divorced and that's very sad.
Me: You have a mom and a dad that love you very much.
M: Divorce is not good.
Me: Sometimes it's necessary. But it's not your fault and sorry about that.
M: Oh I know it wasn't MY fault. Does that mean I can have a pet? I'm sad so I need a little baby dog to make me happy.
Me: I don't think you can buy happiness.
M: Yes you can. My brother Elias buys lizards and he's happy.
Me: Well, get a job.
M: But that's why I have a mom. So you can buy me things...
M: Mom, are you going to die?
Me: Some day. Humans don't live forever.
M: Will you go to Heaven? Is that where God is? When Jesus died on Easter I think he went to Heaven but I never got to meet him so I don't know.
Me: I hope so. I want to meet God someday.
M: God is on the moon. Like, behind it. He must hold his breath a lot.
Me: Well, God is everywhere. He also created the moon.
M: He didn't make the earth. Matter made the earth. Then an asteroid hit it and all the dinosaurs died.

... So I guess he believes in evolution. Should I be worried about this conversation? It took me years to realize that God and the big bang theory could work together, the guy figured this out in about 30 seconds. Are kids just born smarter? Also, we go rounds like this over and over again, to the point where I feel like he should really limit the questions to a minimum of 20 a day.


Comments

Scabs said…
so proud of you!

Popular Posts