End of Semester's Jitters

I cannot believe my time has finally come to walk across the stage to show the world (aka rexburg) that I am a college graduate. I don't ever like to brag (unless it's about my AMAZING child), but I figured now would be the best time to get it all out and not partake in bragging for awhile.

I was born to very young parents 22 years ago. They learned how to be a family with me. I was the guinea pig and did not mind it that much in my childhood. They sacrificed so many things in order for my needs and wants. Never did they complain about being young parents. Never did they treat me as the thing that took away all of their youthful dreams. Instead, they embraced parenthood with a force to have been reckoned with. They did not have the opportunity to grow up in a home filled with joy and laughter. I cannot believe how two normal people came from their circumstances but it happens every so often as I can tell. They are incredible. I am so thankful to have been raised in a home where the parents wanted to cherish their children, sometimes I thought they were smothering me, but now looking back I miss that so much. I never doubted their love and devotion to me. I just assumed that everyone else grew up like that as well, however others were not as fortunate as I.

The older I get, the more I realize how much I am like them. I have the courage of my father and the love of my mother. I see the world in dire need of help and I guess that's the humanitarian in me. They taught me the value of a strong testimony and determination in anything I set my mind to. I am here because of them. I am the first to graduate with a bachelor's degree in my family. Had it not been for the way I was raised, I doubt I would have gone as I did. My mother has always been my personal cheerleader, the outstanding mother who did everything at once and still managed to make time to listen to her daughter's complaints about injustices in the world. I wonder of what my parents think of me sometimes. I have become such an extremist when it comes to global good and compassion towards man kind that it must be annoying to listen to constantly. I don't know how to discuss normal issues like the weather anymore. I think part of that is that I have lost desire to speak of mundane things that occur on a daily basis.

Thank you Mom. Thank you Papi. You are my greatest example. I hope my children can see the efforts I have put into life to give them a better life. You gave me life. You taught me how to live a proper life that feasts upon the words of Christ. There is no other joy than that of parenthood and I am enjoying every minute I get with my little man. We have a small family of our own with struggles too but at the end of the day there is no other place I would rather be.

Thank you to my friends and family who have vouched for me and encouraged me to be my very best. I did my best and finally I can reap the rewards of hard earned work. I am filled with so much love and excitement for what life awaits in the near future. The horizon is not far from where I stand and the picture I can muster up in my head cannot even comprehend the beauties that await. I'm so glad to be where I am today. I know who I am. I know where I am going. And I finally get to thank the two people who never ask for any praise or recognition. YOU are the REASON why I am HERE Mom and Dad. Gracias.

Comments

Brittany Alyse said…
I just love you Ruby! You are an amazing person! Lets get together when you get a chance, call me #208 410 5323 We might be leaving in Dec... This is our LAST semester! Also, CONGRATS on graduation!! You are a stud!

Popular Posts